If you’re someone who wants to eat less meat, but can’t adopt the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle completely, then substituting fish in place of red or white meat is a great alternative.
Cod, and many other cold water fish (haddock, mahi mahi or salmon) , has a plethora of health benefits. Some of those benefits include cardiovascular health (people who eat cod show less risk of heart disease or heart attacks), helps control and prevent high blood pressure, and one benefit that is very important to me, it helps protect against Alzheimer’s disease. (find more information here).
My boyfriend and I both have an infatuation with seafood, we cannot get enough. I think if we had to give up meat we’d be fine, but asking us to give up seafood….good luck with that!
Cod is a light, quick and unbelievably easy meal to make during the week for you and a friend, significant other etc.
What You Will Need
- Cod Filet
- EVOO (2 tbsp)
- Crushed garlic
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon (1/2 juiced and ½ for garnish)
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine your ½ juiced lemon, garlic (as much as you’d like), red pepper flakes and EVOO and whisk together
- Sprinkle your fillets with salt and pepper on each side
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees
- Cover your fillets with the lemon and garlic mixture
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes
After the 20-25 minutes are up, you will have a tender, flaky, flavorful and light piece of fish!
Serve alongside a fresh salad or vegetables and your weeknight meal is complete
Question of the Day: What other ways do you like to prepare Cod (or any white, cold water fish)?
Leave a comment below!